Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Scrap Wanted

Go down

Scrap Wanted

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Bit of an odd one, but does anyone have any old broken power tools or anything with an electric motor in it lying around that they wouldn't mind donating to a needy cause?

I'm after some electric motors that I can hopefully "reverse" to make little generators for a science project. I've already mocked up 2 wind turbines this evening from old plastic bottles, but would like to strap a larger motor to em so that I can get some decent output.

I've just pulled my recently cooked Tesco drill appart, but the motor uses electro magnets for the outer part; where traditionally normal magnets would be used. So, this is no good for what I need. I've got a few low voltage motors but their output is going to be very small - Would be nice to be able to power a 12 volt device from it (maybe power a fan, then it could push air at the turbine and power itself).

I may just see what Amorn have got on the shelf.

Back to top Go down

Re: Scrap Wanted

Post by Snowflake on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 am

I have a power drill... electric... not working... Think it is the same as the one you have... I will bring it to the FAG social night tonight... then you can have a look!

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 am

My friend has a Yamaha Nouvo!

Bike

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 am

Admin wrote:My friend has a Yamaha Nouvo!

Bike

I know I said Scrap Admin, but I draw the line at Nouvo's!

Thanks Mr Snowflake, much appreciated. Gonna nip into Amorn after my next lesson and see if they have anything cheap thats suitable

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Amorn trip turned up very little. Have purchased a small motor that has just 2 wired going in, which is a good sign; but I will not know if its any good till I get it spinning in reverse with the volt meter on it.

Did manage to pick up some small plastic gear wheels for 1 of the solar power projects. Just need some nice toy wheels to complete that 1.

Hell knows how I'm gonna get on with the big project (top secret). Lots of research to do first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Said purchased motor is a new electric motor design on me - coiled wire on the outside, solid drum on the inside (which does not appear to be magnetic).
I spun it using my chordless drill and it pumps out less than 0.5v.
The 20 baht motor I got last week (tiny 5 volt job) can pump out 1.25v when spun using the same method!

I figure my best bet is going to be car parts, but a dynamo of some sort is what I really need - but as this project has a recycle theme, I don't just want to purchase a dynamo, hense the idea of reclaiming an old electric motor.
I have read that the little motors used to power cassettes and hard drives pump out quite a lot of power, so I will try that next (plenty of duff hard drives at our school).

I did reaslised last night that I'm trying to do too much of these projects myself. I'm going to point the students in the right direction tomorrow and see what they can come up with - although, I do still want to make my own wind powered generator and my own version of the "top secret" project.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down