Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

July 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Teachers who leg it

Go down

Teachers who leg it

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 am

In the last month or so there has been a couple of teachers here in Nakhon who have simply left their job/s and gone home or somewhere. They are not the first and I doubt they'll be the last.

Now, I don't know the reasons why, but unless it is for extreme family reasons or if the KGB/Mafia is after you, should your priorities not be towards your students/school and at least finish the term? As far as I can see, when people do this kind of thing, it just gives the employers yet another reason to think more badly about farang teachers.

What do you think?

Coffeewhacko

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Teachers who leg it

Post by Snowflake on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 am

Well, first of all... I do not think it is compleatly fair to just blame the teachers. I do not know who has left and I frankly dont care, BUT have been several stories in the past where schools have not paid the teachers the salary that they are owned! I think everyone should look into themselves and figure out how to deal with that problem.

It is always bad when a teacher is leaving... There might be some problems they have or not any salary given, that would tip you over too admin...
The only problem/ the biggest problem that I can see is that the only ones suffering are the students, probably the ones that should not suffer... (even if they are mean sometimes)...

I think it goes both ways admin, schools can be a bit silly with some demands they make, teachers might be silly with their expectations here...

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by C-Bert on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 am

I don't mind so much when people leave as long as they do it in a proper way. By this I mean they should tell their school, students and friends here when they are leaving and why. If people leave in the dead of night, so to speak, and leave everyone in the dark as to why, it makes it seem like they are running away from something, like they are too scared to face up to their responsibilities. It strikes me as a bit spineless.
C-Bert
Hitman
Hitman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 am

Snowflake wrote:
It is always bad when a teacher is leaving... There might be some problems they have or not any salary given, that would tip you over too admin...
The only problem/ the biggest problem that I can see is that the only ones suffering are the students, probably the ones that should not suffer... (even if they are mean sometimes)...

I think it goes both ways admin, schools can be a bit silly with some demands they make, teachers might be silly with their expectations here...

Of the 2 schools these guys have left, one of the schools has a very good reputation when it comes to teachers, the other I am not too sure about but I've known the head of department for a long time and she seems very nice.

Got to agree though, it is the students that suffer in the long run.

Coffeewhacko

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am

A thai boss talking to an employee... There might have been many things that you don't know about that story admin (even with all the tings you know)...

I am sure that the people leaving in the middle of the night have their own reasons... Maybe they don't want a long goodbye...

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 pm

From one of the schools

.... did a runner last week, packed his stuff and cleared out without saying a word.

In all fairness, the students hated him, so did the thai teachers, he was far from reliable

How and possibly why one left.

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 pm

[quote="Admin"]From one of the schools

.... did a runner last week, packed his stuff and cleared out without saying a word.

In all fairness, the students hated him, so did the thai teachers, he was far from reliable

And you all wonder why he left??? HA... I am quite sure that the students and the teachers alike let him feel exactly what they thought about him... Thai teachers are not very proffesional when it comes to that...

The boss should have been there and sorted them all out... Students should have learned to respect their teacher... Good for him that he left, sounds like a nasty place (and I don't even know where it is, or the full story)

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by HuaNgu on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:07 pm

People always knock the folks that to do a runner. It's not fair. Doing a runner is hard!

Takes guts, it does!
HuaNgu
Hitman
Hitman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 pm

From said school ....

We were not the first school he has done this too.

The students were very respectful to him, just a shame he did not return the same level of professionalism. The teachers too did not say anything bad to him, but in Thai style, complained about him to each other and let him get on with it. The boss was there and requested steps taken to resolve certain issues, however it falls on deaf ears when people are only here for the visa stamp and some spending money for an extended holiday. Nasty place it is not, Thai teachers who will bend over backwards to help and support you, students that often greet you with a smile.

Yeah it takes guts .... not!

Coffeewhacko

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Snowflake wrote:(and I don't even know where it is, or the full story)

hardly qualifies you to comment then really does it.

for the record.... this is from first hand information, not something overheared or passed on through numerous individuals. The person in question left an existing position (unannounced) to take the job here. There have been stories (nothing proven so they are just stories) that said person has yet to complete a contract at any school they have worked.

The comments from the students were actually that he was mean, hard, and did not do anything interesting in the lesson.

As it has already been said, it is very easy to knock the folkes that do a runner, but Takes guts? I'm not so sure, its all too easy to run away when things get tough.

The bottom line here is that the students at these schools are now down by 1 teacher that they have got to know and respect (which they do Mr Snowfake). They will now have their routine broken and their education hampered while a replacement is found.
What would have taken guts, and been the professional thing to do, would have been to give adequate notice to whoever is in charge, gave their reasons for leaving, then left.

Often its the people left behind that get the backlash and the bad reputation.

I do know this school, and people who work or have worked there. It does not have a big turnover of staff and in fact has a very good reputation. I do not know of any school here that I would say was a nasty place to work. Farangs who are seen to do their job are treated very well, most schools know how difficult it can be to attract high calibre staff to an area such as this.

For whatever reason, these people (admin mentioned there were more than 1) have left without adequate warning. I'm sure the schools involved will not loose too much sleep over it, they'll just shuffle extra hours onto those that are left behind. However, when you are in your last term of the final year at your school, having your lessons dumped onto someone that has had no involvment with your curriculum, and who is too streched to dedicate the same amount of time to prepare for your lessons, can cause big problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 am

What I meant in previous posts is that there is more to the story than I know, but having been here in Thailand for a long time I know from watching other schools, teachers that if the Thais don't like you, they let you know....

I am sure that the person had his reasons to leave, I don't care, he left and the only ones that really hurt are the students, and the next teacher... will they trust him or will he do a runner too????

Ps. do you ever get the feeling that the school you work at take advantage of you???

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:26 am

Thai teachers at our school have never openly bad mouthed a farang teacher. They have made comments when things in the class have been western style and they have thought they needed to step in and "bring order", but they have always asked first if the farang teacher is ok with them chipping in.

I suspect the persons reason to leave are simply wanting to move onto other places and faces. People here teaching fall into 1 of 2 or 3 groups.

1. People that are here on a working holiday
2. People that have settled here and maybe have a family here
3. People who have seen the light and want to improve the world by passing on their knowledge

I suspect most fall into groups 1 and 2. I would hazard a guess that these people fell into group 1, got bored here and flew - maybe with a months pay in hand in they ran during the holidays!
If someone was leaving my school during the holiday period then I'm sure they would be signed off at the end of term and not paid for the holiday. So, say nothing, get your holiday pay, then just not come back next term. No guts involved really.

In answer to your ps snowy, i feel my school wants us to be seen as real teachers when it suits, then just the low life, fake teachers, but trophy farangs to show off to other schools and parents the rest of the time.
Has someone been taking advantage of you? You need to be careful in then staff toilets you know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 am

Good riddance, I say!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Ok ... I've noticed/seen some re-reinforcements for this/these guy/s. I/we will never/don't know the full reasons why and I don't think we will ever know.

But, how good is it for Thailand and more importantly how good is it, or how much does it portray the farang teachers here?

..... Doyen,you're surmising and ...... coz I don't know the full story.

But something is amiss .....

Enough said.

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Raining on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Just to add to this. The guy first referenced that did a runner actually offered to come back and "help us" next term after seeing our job vacancies online.
Thicker skin than an eskimo some people.
Hello is that *****. This is ****, I worked there a couple years ago and ducked out after the October break. I just saw your ad on ajarnjobspace.com and thought I would say hi. Hope all is going well, looks like the school is growing. Let me know if you need any help and say hi to ****** for me.
Peace

Note, this English "teacher" opens with a question, minus the question mark!

There are only so many bridges you can burn.
Its Raining
Thug
Thug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down