Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm by Gold member

» Attacked outside D'Pelican
Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 am by Its Raining

» Tired and more tired
Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Final insult to hundreds if not thousands!

Go down

Final insult to hundreds if not thousands!

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 am

Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali al Megrahi flew home to Libya last night - and was greeted by a crowd of hundreds. In scenes described as "sickening" by the Lockerbie MP, Megrahi was cheered by supporters waving placards, wearing T-shirts bearing his picture and waving Libyan and Scottish flags.

He was hugged by one of Libyan leader Col Gaddafi's sons, embraced his own boys and was then driven to Tripoli's Green Square to address a mass rally. Tory MP David Mundell said: "This is sickening. It is as we feared and why we said that Megrahi should be kept in Scotland. This is a mistake of international proportions."

Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer and is thought to have just weeks to live, was released hours earlier from his Scottish jail on compassionate grounds.

The decision immediately provoked fury in the US. President Barack Obama said that he had told victims' families the move was inappropriate. And he added: "We have been in contact with the Scottish Government indicating that we object to this. We thought it was a mistake." He also called on Libya to place the bomber under house arrest, while his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the release was "absolutely wrong". US attorney general Eric Holder said: "The interests of justice have not been served by this decision."

Megrahi, 55, was the only person convicted after the destruction of Pan Am Flight 103 over the Dumfriesshire town of Lockerbie on December 21 1988 - killing 270 people including 189 Americans. He was sentenced to a minimum of 27 years but served eight - spending the equivalent of just 11 and a half days in jail per victim.

US widow Stephanie Bernstein, whose husband Michael was a Justice Department lawyer, said: "This is weakness. "This is how it will be seen by every single person who wants to do harm all over the world. "It's a sad day for the people of Scotland, for the people of the United Kingdom and for the people of the United States if a mass murderer is allowed to go free." Suse Lowenstein, whose 21-year-old son Alexander died, said: "Unlike him, Megrahi has the luxury to be at home with his family when he dies." And Paul Halsch, whose 31-year-old wife was killed, said: "This might sound blunt, but I want him returned from Scotland the same way my wife Lorraine was - and that would be in a box."

But some British relatives believe Megrahi is innocent. Jim Swire, whose lost daughter Flora, 23, said: "I am delighted he is free." And Martin Cadman, 84, who son Bill, 32, died said: "It is just righting a wrong." The announcement Megrahi was being freed was made at 1pm by Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill. In a 28-minute address he said mercy was a "cornerstone of Scottish values".

He added: "Mr al Megrahi did not show his victims any comfort or compassion.

"But our justice system demands judgment be imposed but compassion be available.

"Our beliefs dictate justice be served, but mercy be shown.

"For these reasons it is my decision that Mr al Megrahi be released on compassionate grounds and allowed to return to Libya to die."

He then sniped at the UK government for refusing to help in the process, saying: "I offered the right to provide information. They declined."

After the announcement, Megrahi was whisked through a baying crowd outside Greenock prison and taken to Glasgow airport. Wearing a white tracksuit and baseball cap, he used a stick to climb the stairs on to a chartered jet. He covered his face with a scarf and clutched. By the time the Afriqiyah Airways Airbus touched down he had changed into a a suit and tie. Megrahi released a statement saying: "To those victims' relatives who can bear to hear me say this - they continue to have my sincere sympathy for the unimaginable loss that they have suffered. "To those who bear me ill will, I do not return that to you."

(The Sun)

Coffeewhacko

I remember that day well.
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Final insult to hundreds if not thousands!

Post by Snowflake on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:37 pm

So I guess that means we should not release our own prisoners if they get terminally ill???

What about the Train Robbery guy, he was just released, put him back inn???

Need a certain compassion... If he will die, well, set him free if he got weeks to live, or keep them all inn till they die!

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Snowflake wrote:So I guess that means we should not release our own prisoners if they get terminally ill???

What about the Train Robbery guy, he was just released, put him back inn???

Need a certain compassion... If he will die, well, set him free if he got weeks to live, or keep them all inn till they die!
Have you not seen the photos in the news? He was treated a s a martyr when he arrived back in Tripoli. They were all laughing in the face of Scottish justice. He 'killed' 270 people and does just 11.5 days for each person killed. Pathetic.

Looking at the other thread there about caning .... could you ever imagine that in the UK? Hah, you'd have the PC brigade up in arms. Instead, cushy cell ... you want a colour TV, here you are etc etc. If the UK stopped mollykoddling everybody, maybe it would not be in the state it is today.

Rant over.

Coffeewhacko
Admin
Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinebox on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Imagine the politics (which we don't know) involved. You think they did that just on humanitarian terms? Gas and oil m'boy! He's a hero in Libiya!
Shinebox
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down