June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Hiring a car in Nakon?

Go down

Hiring a car in Nakon?

Post by Ovation1357 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi All,
I hope I'm not gate-crashing your forum because I think most of the chat here is from people who live in the area and actually I'm a UK resident! But, my wife and I will be staying in Sichon, NST in August for 7 days on our honey-moon, which is fueling my interest in the area.

We're planning to try and get a mini-van from Phuket to Nakhon and then either hire a car or find a private driver if the price is similar... From the information we've read about the area, people say that you really need a car to see the sights, but so far the closest internet car hire I can find is over in Surat-Thani.

I suspect that for at least part of our trip we will just relax at the resort, so ideally we would like to find somewhere just to hire a car on a daily basis.. Or, are there many english-speaking taxi drivers in the area? I have got no idea what a taxi driver might charge, but if we could find a driver/guide for a few day trips then that might work better.

The most important thing about our visit to Thailand is that we want to soak up the Thai culture where-ever possible - eating local food is a must and anything involving wildlife/forest/caves/waterfalls will be big on our list.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Regards
Jonathan
Ovation1357

Back to top Go down

Re: Hiring a car in Nakon?

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm

There are plenty of mini-buses that run Phuket Town to NST. All I can say is 'Good Luck' coz they drive like idiots possessed.

Hire cars available in Nakhon, around B1,000/day or less. Not sure what licence you have (full British?) - might be ok. The office is on the left about 200m from the train station heading towards the mosque. If you're staying at a resort, they should have their own transport or at the very least know someone who could help - someone will take the opportunity to make a Baht or two.

Out of interest, why have you chosen the Sichon area?

Where are you based in the UK?

Wai

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovation1357 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Admin,

Thank you for such a lightning-quick reply! It's useful to know that there is a car hire place :-)

Actually, we might have considered hiring a car from Phuket and driving over, but because we are then flying home from NST Airport, I could only find really expensive options to leave the car at NST.

I've looked at the option of Busses and Minivans but it looks like the busses take about 7 hours from Phuket to NST. I was told that a private Taxi from Phuket would be as much as 6500 Baht.. Compared to a few hundred baht for a mini-van it seems a little hard to justify it. I'd really welcome any advice about travelling - we'd have flown but is seems daft to fly up to bangkok then back down to NST again.

We've chosen the Sichon area because my fiancée found Ekman Garden Resort there, which looks nice and has good reviews. In the first half of our trip we've got a couple of days in Bangkok and then a 5-day tour around Phuket and Krabi, so the idea of then spending our last 7 days in a quiet and non-touristy area sounds appealing.

Cheers
Jonathan
Ovation1357

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 am

It depends on how many people are travelling. There are 'private' taxis that can carry 4 people that will charge you less than B2,000 all in .... but, you're on your honeymoon! Why worry about saving a few pennies?

I have no idea who you are but 7 days in Sichon is like going on Survivor for a year! Yes, you're on you're on your honeymoon but Sichon is not exactly Las Vegas. Each to their own.

BTW, you never said where you are in the UK.

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovation1357 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Admin,

Oh yes sorry - I live in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire - It's about 30miles west of London.

B2,000 for a private taxi sounds a much better rate for a taxi.. I'd budgeted B2,500 to get from Phuket to Nakhon so I though Bus/Mini-Van was the only option after being told a taxi would cost almost the same as 1 week's car rental.
I guess we still might need to say "cha cha" to the driver ;-)

I hope we won't be completely bored in Sichon, we're not party animals.... Speaking of which: We'll be all geared up for Mosquitoes but are we likely to encounter many leeches there?

I take it that there's a bit more life in NST Town itself so if we get bored in Sichon we might find something to entertain us there. However, we will be armed with a few good books :-)

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers
Jonathan

Ovation1357

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold member on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Nakhon has more life than Sichon, that is true.. but for a little bit more life ! you can always pop down to a place called Songkhla.. which is on the coast and 20k from Hatyai.

Gold member
Ninja
Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down