Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Bonuses, have they been scrapped?

Go down

Bonuses, have they been scrapped?

Post by Its Raining on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Sorry, but the ugly topic of Bonuses raises once again.

How good is your school at keeping its promise to pay you that little bit extra for doing beyond what is required?

The establishment I refer to had a contract renewal bonus when I first started here. That was a little extra they paid in a lump sum at the end of your contract if you agree to stay on for another year (arse about face if you ask me).
The problem here was that once you got your renewal bonus you could just quit (which is what people did it seems).
The logical apporoach would have been to have a contract completion bonus..... but that would be too .... well..... logical.

Anyway, at the end of my first year, I renewed and was promised said bonus........ they even confirmed this in Thai with my partner........ needless to say it never materialised.

A few years on, and still lots of talk goes on about incentives and bonuses, yet it seems to be just that....... talk.

Having just done another year of extra crap on the verbal agreement I get a cash sum at the end, I am still waiting for any monitary (or otherwise) recognition for going out of my way to do things that they either cant be bothered to do, or don't have the know how.
Last year, they kept me waiting around for about 3 weeks before they decided to pay me what was agreed. This year, it seems they've decided they dont want to meet their side of the bargain and hope I wont press the subject because..... well, that would be rude wouldn't it.

I'm a big believer in trying to help when I can, and if people ask for it; so the money is not the issue here. What really p'sses me off is to be promised something in recognition for my work, only to have them back out of the deal when the time came. I didn't even get a word of thanks or show of gratitude; just a call to remind me not to forget a few important things to be done during the "holiday".

They might just as well have kicked me in the nuts because thats how it feels.

I know a lot of this is Thai culture. Tell the farang what they want to hear and make them believe things are being done because that will make them happy........ even if you have zero intention of meeting any of the "promises" you make.
While it may be the Thai way, an agreement is an agreement in my book. I've done the work asked (and more), so have met my side of the deal.
The ball is in their court at the moment, but the clock is ticking. Nearly time to burn this bridge.

Gonna be an interesting (maybe short) academic year.

Is this really the norm for schools here? I'm sure its not.
Its Raining
Thug
Thug

Back to top Go down

Re: Bonuses, have they been scrapped?

Post by Gold member on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

if you have been here for a while you will have gathered that farangs are second class citizens... we do not count...
my advice is .. do not count on the bonus.. it sounds as if they will not give you it since they did not honour the past agreement.... sorry to pass on this bad news... and not more constructive for you and your problem

Gold member
Ninja
Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Raining on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Update on this....... I called in to the office yesterday and was told "The wages person needs you to give them a copy of your contract before they can pay you".

Strong smell of buffalo in the area.............. they know who I am AND they have my contract already.

So, still no sign of what's owed.

They already screwed me over on one of these empty promises a while back, but this agreement was acknowledged by the top suits in recognition for the extra stuff I do.

As I said, it's not the money so much, its the blatent lack of gratitude and, as GM stated, treating the farangs as 2nd class people (BTW we are not considered for being citizens unless we cough up a load of cash).

Whats that saying, "You get what you pay for"?
Guess I just work to my contract until they decide to honour what they promised or I find a different employer - I'd be more than happy to go back to being just another pale face teacher and not have to do all this extra stuff.

Anyone looking for a Maths, Science, or Computing teacher? I can start at a months notice.
Its Raining
Thug
Thug

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Raining on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Well, on the last "working" day of my hols (when extra spends would have been nice), they have decided to pay up.

Guess I'll never understand the "logic" of it all.
Its Raining
Thug
Thug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum