Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 pm by Its Raining

June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Hello everyone

Go down

Hello everyone

Post by h90 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm

We currently live in Bangkok, but we try to start a Bird House (Bird Nest farming) in my wifes old house. So I hope to be every weekend at Nakhon.
Is there any scuba diving around nakhon?
Anyone experience with Bird Nest farming?

I hope to be soon again in Nakhon.....
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello h90 and a warm welcome. How's Bangkok?Well, I don't know much about bird houses I'm afraid although I do have a friend who used to do them throughout the south. If you get down here, I could introduce him to you and he can give you advice. The main area around here is PakPanang Town where there are literally streets full of purpose built buildings all designed to attract birds and then have their nests farmed. How lucrative it is now I'm not sure as there are so many of them. Is that where you were thinking about? Either way, just get in touch when you get here ...

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Opposite Robinson in the sois some people do bird farming already.
My wife told that she somehow knows the "leader" (spokesperson??) of the Bird farmers in PakPanang already.
How lucrative: 1000-1400 USD per kg. Sound good, but consider that one nest has just 10 gram so you need 100 pcs of it. Chinese love it. So there is a huge market (China), most is farmed in Indonesia.
How is Bangkok?? Busy...to many people. The food not as good as in Nakhon. Don't like it, but my business is there (hydraulic seals).
Can't await to be in Nakhon again.....
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

All I can say is welcome and good luck... remember that it is on average 1 in 4 bird houses that succeed...
PS. Admins friend has travelled all over south east asia to learn about them, and he often advice the people that are building them in PakPanang... Even if your GF/Wife knows someone that knows someone, would it hurt to get introduced???It all comes down to the style of the house... I doubt very much that you could sustain a living on them in Ratchapruk 2, but then again, I am dumb... I am sure you know what you are doing... Said that, there is a feeding ground for the swiftlets out towards Paknakhon... I had their crap everywhere and Admins mate out at my house, when I built it... But I had the wrong style of house to attract them!!! (see, if I only knew...)

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Snowflake,
it is definitely useful to know everyone in that business. Just we are in Bangkok till the last minute before installing everything. So by the moment I get the advise it will be too late.....Better don't hear what we did wrong, hahahahaha

We are lucky, that the house is already there and empty. So our investment is just somewhere 50-80.000 Baht. just small things, amplifier, speaker, wood, cameras, labor hours, fridge for the beer, beer and beer and beer....

If no birds come, I am not bankrupt, if they come I am happy. My wifes sister is a bit sick and doesn't want to live in Bangkok, so if she can make a 4000 Baht/month I call it already a full success. It doesn't need to sustain my live. More like a hobby and a good excuse to fly to the south every weekend.
But I won't complain if 1000s of birds come and I make me rich (but I doubt that).
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by taniabear on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Wow sounds like h90 has it make...stress free!! We all wish that! Good luck anyway h90
taniabear
Hitman
Hitman

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Hahahaha I hope stress free......Bangkok isn't stress free.
Before I went to Thailand I thought working in Thailand is hanging around on the beach with some work on the laptop if it is not too hot.
Now I sit in the middle of Bangkok and have a 12 hour day in the air-condition. What did I do wrong??
But the bird nest project will be a stress-free relaxed one (hopefully).
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:42 pm

h90, as this seems to have been ignored..... the diving off Nakhon is not good. Water too shallow and lots of sediment spoiling the vis.

Head a good way out from Samui coast and it gets clearer.
Better still, go to the west coast (Andaman sea), much better vis and more marine life.

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks Mr. Mann,
I found the Island Koh Kra east of Nakhon. But I got told, quality isn't good and it is far away.
Do you know any bad dive side near Nakhon? I think better to do a bad shallow poor visibility dive than not having time do dive in a nice Samui or Andaman.
First I thought to speak with the local fisherman if they would take me out to somewhere for small money (I don't need a dive center), but looking at Garmin Blue Charts there isn't much looking promising and the island Koh Kra is simply to far away for a small cheap boat.
Any idea??
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:53 am

I've dived at Khanom..... that was REALLY bad.
I now tend to go to Koa Plie Dam, the national park about 70km from Nakhon, same road as Khanom but a lot closer.

Parking is easy and there are toilets (even showers I think), plus some shops and restaurants.
If you park up and kit up in the main parking area near the shop, then you can walk around the back to the far end of the bay and swim out to a small rock area known as "Koa Plie Dam Island".
In the shallows, its quite nice and clear too. As you get deeper (goes to about 7m depending on the tides), it gets a bit murky and there are lots of them rope type coral that tend to wrap around your tank as you swim through them.

Quite a bit of junk down there too from the fishermen. I try to bring a little bit back with me each time, but needs a bigger clean up. Need to take a goodie bag and a lift bag at some point.

Quite a reasonable selection of fish there, even seen some scorpion fish in the murky depths.

Bit of a swell as you go out to the far side of the island, but nothing too major.

I like to navigate back to the main section of the beach underwater, then pop up and shock the swimmers ;o)
I just set my compass to 125 degrees and keep swimming till I get to the shore. It's a shorter walk back to the car from there too.

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:11 am

Hello Mr. Mann......
After I read what you write about Koa Plie and that it is what you consider as the better choice........I don't want to know what Khanom looks like......

I guess driving to the Andaman side is the better solution.

Thanks
Michael
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 am

Sounds like alot of fun to go diving, too bad I dont like swimming...
I will try to get admin to start a diving thread for you too... I am sure that there are more people out there like you...

Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Snowflake: you should try it.....In many tourist places you can try it with someone who takes care that it is safe.
I also don't care much about swimming. But swimming vs diving is like: Walking vs. flying.
You can move 3 D.
As for a thread: Mr. Mann told that around Nakhon the diving isn't good.
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Snowflake, you dont need to able to swim to dive (it just helps if you get into trouble).
The kit enables you to float so you just need to point yourself in the right direction and gently kick your legs.

Diving on this coast is no good. need to head quite a way off shore for anything decent.

However, there are alternatives not THAT far away....

Krabi is but a short drive away, opening up access to the same dive sites you can reach from Phuket.
Lanta is just a bit further
Phi Phi is within reason.
Trang is as close as Krabi but looks heaps better.

OR.... and not a lot of people know this....
you can dive inland at ratchaphrapha dam. Handy spots are about 40 meters deep. Water looks very clear. No idea what fish are down there, but they flooded the old towns with everything in tact.

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 pm

The only English forum about diving in Thailand is on scubaboard.com
and it is mostly about Pattaya and Koh Tao and to a big part about people who want to come to Thailand and make the "from zero to hero" course to be in 6 month Dive Master and than make a living with diving.
There is not much information about less famous places.
From that point of view a thread here might make sense, but I don't know if there are more than Mr. Mann and me interested....
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:43 pm

There are quite a few closet divers in the town, some maybe a bit dry around the gills these days.

h90, I have yet to find a suitable site off the West coast where I can just turn up, kit up, and jump in. I would personally be a little uneasy entrusting a fisherman with my safety while I'm in the water - particularly if they'd taken me a long way from the shore.

As Krabi is probably the closest place for tank fills, a good shore dive there would be great...... not sure there is one though.

Back to top Go down

Post by h90 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 am

Well, yes you need a reliable person and it is a complete different situation than diving in Pattaya where the Dive Center takes care that you don't kill yourself.
I would not feel comfortable complete offshore with a Fisherman who might watch on the wrong place for me.
Have you every gone to Koh Krah? On the map it looks too far out to go, or?
h90
Punk
Punk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jongkolkhoo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:28 am

Hi,
I am in nakorn (5 yrs now) . Just stumble across this website after so many years. Just to say hi. Oh . About the bird nest thing, have a bit of hands on experience . It is a lucrative trade but it is not as easy as what most People think. Only private email as it is too long and complicated to type on the phone . Can reach me at jongkolkhoo@hotmail.com . Hope to make new friends in nakorn and get some real friends . There are some barriers with most Thai friends as they see foreign people differently ( or is it just me ?). I am Asian from neighboring Thailand. (south).
Jongkolkhoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Hello Jongkolkhoo. Welcome!

You can try going to The Pine Bar and ask for a guy called Fooass. He knows a lot about bird-nest buildings etc and he's a nice guy too. I've forgotten the name of the road but it is the road that runs from Salaklang down to Pattana Kukwang Road.

Keep us informed.

Assassin's Grim Reaper!

http://www.nakhonsrithammarat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold member on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:24 am

same road as brothers bar and bangkok bar... thats where you will find PINE BAR

Gold member
Ninja
Ninja

Back to top Go down